Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Background Information Sources
Easy-to-use, online encyclopedia. Great for initial background research but most professors expect more authoritative sources for research projects.
Online encyclopedia and dictionary for the sciences. Includes biographies, images and animations, and videos.
Review articles give a bird's eye view of a field or niche within a field. They can also contain useful bibliographies/works cited lists.
In many research databases, you can pre-limit or filter your search results to review articles.
One publisher, Annual Reviews, publishes only review articles. Try searching their Web site (listed below) for your topic.
ASM Handbooks Online
Source of information on ferrous and non-ferrous metals and materials technology. Includes 30 ASM Handbook volumes, supplements with searchable tabular data.
Annual Reviews Online
Extensive overviews of current research in science, engineering, and social sciences.
eBooks and Books
Why Use eBooks/Books
- Good for in-depth background information.
- You don't have to read the whole book! Search within eBooks to find where a specific keyword is mentioned.
- Use glossaries, indexes, Table-of-Contents and other features to quickly scan for relevance.
- Check bibliographies/references for mentions of other important works.
How to Find eBooks/Books
- Use the online catalog, ASA, to search for books and eBooks. A search box is below.
- Use eBrary or other eBook providers from the A-to-Z Database List to complete more in-depth searching.
Interlibrary Loan Books through PALCI E-Z Borrow - see http://library.lehigh.edu/ill for a link and brief instructions.
ASA - The Library Catalog
Use PALCI E-ZBorrow to obtain books from participating PALCI (Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc.) libraries. PALCI loans are available for a maximum period of 100 days with no renewals. Overdue books are subject to a fine of $1.00 per day.