SciFinder is a search interface for Chemical Abstracts, the CAS Registry File, and Medline. Reaction searching and a sophisticated structure searching are capabilities of the software. Links to full text services, commercial suppliers, and regulatory information are included. Abstracts are detailed and, since 1999, include the reference lists for the articles abstracted.
When you register to use SciFinder, you commit to the following statement.
"SciFinder® may be used for Academic Research ONLY. Use of SciFinder for Commercial Research is strictly prohibited.
As a SciFinder Named User, I acknowledge the following:
• I am a current faculty, staff member, or officially registered student of the academic institution through which I am accessing SciFinder.
• I will search only for myself and use SciFinder ONLY for my own Academic Research at my academic institution.
• I will not use SciFinder for Commercial Research or for organizations other than my academic institution.
• I have been assigned a unique username and password and will not share my username or password with any other person.
• I will not use any automated program or script for extracting and downloading SciFinder data, or any other systematic retrieval of data from SciFinder.
• I may retain a maximum of 5,000 Records at any given time for my own Academic Research use or to share within a Project team for the duration of the Project.
• My academic institution’s SciFinder License, the CAS Information Use Policies, and additional terms and conditions located under the “Legal” link in SciFinder (collectively “Terms & Conditions”) apply to my use of SciFinder.
Violations of the Terms & Conditions may result in termination of my SciFinder access.
I will contact my SciFinder Key Contact or the CAS Customer Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) if I have any questions regarding my use of SciFinder."
Also: note that patentability research and searches performed with the intention of delivering results outside of Lehigh University are not allowed. Likewise, the distribution of CAS data by assignment, sale, sublicense, loan, or other means to an unauthorized user is prohibited. (Adapted from a letter from CAS dated October 2004).
Contact Brian Simboli if you have questions.
Please follow the directions below very closely, that is step by step. Skipping a step could mean you will not gain access.
NOTE: If you encounter any problems, please let Brian Simboli know immediately. Please provide the following information: nature of the problem, whether it was on or off campus and, if the latter, what Internet Service Provider you are using; time it occurred; operating system; web browser used.
See the tab in this guide for "ChemOffice Pro", which includes ChemDraw. You can draw chemical structures or reactions and load them into SciFinder for searching in latter. See that tab for instructions about how to set up ChemDraw for this purpose; scroll down to "Using ChemDraw with SciFinder".
To learn about using SciFinder go to http://www.cas.org/support/scifi/index.html
Help documentation is available after you open SciFinder.