Class Assignment resources
The Environment, the Public and Mass Media
- AMERICA'S NEWSPAPERS
- contains the full text content of over 650 U.S. newspapers. 140 of these titles are exclusively available from this service. Can be searched individually or as multiple titles. Interface is capable of searching the full-text, or limiting to headline, date, author, topic or section of the article record. The papers are updated daily, however the archive depth varies by newspaper but generally is limited to no earlier than the mid 1980's. This database is simple to use and provides extensive coverage of U.S. newspapers.
- LEXIS NEXIS ACADEMIC
- Provides full text from national, regional and international newspapers, business and general news magazines, media transcripts, public opinion polls and surveys. Primarily English language but some coverage of foreign language news is also included. Hundreds of sources are included and the dates of coverage will vary for each title. One can use the "Sources" feature to identify publications included and to limit searches to a specific title.
SEARCH HINTS There are a variety of ways to search for information in newspapers. One can begin in NEWS search form and select an appropriate Source category. It is also possible to use the SOURCES tab to create your own list of newspapers to search. The Lexis database structure is complex and takes some time to understand. One approach is to conduct your search and after results are displayed use the "clustering" feature that appears to the left of the search results to restrict the results to Newspapers or specific publications. Contact me if you need additional help.
- NEW YORK TIMES HISTORICAL
- The New York Times is a full-image archive that includes a historical run of The New York Times, with database coverage from 1851 - 2003. The database delivers every page of every issue from cover to cover, with full-page and article images in downloadable PDF. Each record is associated with a "page map" so that the item's context on the page can be seen. Using the "MORE SEARCH OPTIONS" one can limit retrieval to birth notices, letters, display or classifed ads, editorial cartoons, etc.
- When using historical full-text databases it is important to conduct searches using the language and words that were in common use at the time the articles were written, for instance:
- perhaps use "extinction or extinct" as opposed to "endangered species"
- "conservationist" rather than "ecologist or environmentalist"
Background Information resources
- CQ RESEARCHER
- Each CQ Researcher report explores a single hot issue in the news in depth each week.Many of them concern environmental topics. The reports provide understandable background information, chronologies, contact information for organizations and individuals who concern themselves with the particular topic. A good source of basic statistics, tables, charts and maps.
- ACCESS SCIENCE
- A continually updated online versions of the McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, Access Science provides a full-text, web-based combination encyclopedia and dictionary for science and engineering. Articles originally compiled in 2000, with many "research updates," links to related web sites, and weekly science news items. Simple or complex keyword searching, links within articles to related material, and study guides.
- DISCOVERY GUIDES
- Cambridge Scientific's Discovery Guides provide an overview, key citations with abstracts, web sites, and a glossary about "hot topics" such as global warming, invasive species, renewable energy and much more. Take a look at the complete list.
- NATIONAL ACADEMIES PRESS
- "The National Academies Press (NAP) was created by the National Academies to publish the reports issued by the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council, all operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range of topics in science, engineering, and health, capturing the most authoritative views on important issues in science and health policy." These institutions attract leading experts in their fields. Many of these books are available for free download on the web and focus on environmental or energy conservation issues.
Databases of Articles
- RESEARCH LIBRARY
- Research Library indexes, abstracts and provides selective full-text for a broad spectrum of 3,820 magazines, journals and newspapers. Coverage dates of specific publications varies but in some cases the earliest coverage goes back to 1971.
- ABI/INFORM GLOBAL
- This database focuses on business and management information and can provide a perspective on environmental issues from that point of view. It also provides access to the full text of Wall Street Journal articles going back to 1984.
LibGuide - Journalism and Communication
To locate Resources specifically focused on Journalism, use the more extensive Guide to Journalism and Communication Resources. This is a research advisor developed to point you to useful materials and information tools for students and faculty of Journalism.
RefWorks- Bibliographic Management Tool
The Library has acquired REFWORKS, a web-based software product that will help you manage the research materials you collect.You create a personal library of citations to books, journal articles, etc. It is also a great help in preparing bibliographies and footnotes as you write your papers. The product is free to Lehigh students and your personal account and folders can be accessed from any computer. To get started take the time to open an account and view the very effective tutorials.